Hey all! For those of you who don't know, I got a new job. For those of you who do know, well you can stop reading here because the rest will just be a repeat.... After attempting to wing it and do my own thing, I decided and my finances decided for me that I may need to go seek more solid employment. I still possess the entrepreneurial spirit and will forever, but I think this new job will allow me to keep that, but also build myself up professionally until the day to try again comes.
I landed a job with Morgan Stanley Smith Barney. It was a total God thing and it is right down my alley. I'll be beginning a career as a financial advisor tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. For those of you who know, ever since I sold books and had some disposable income I have really enjoyed investing it in the stock market and other investments. I've been messing around with my own money the past few years and have totally enjoyed it, but after I get my series 7 I'll be allowed to legally mess with other people's money!!! Obviously it will be EXTREMELY hard and sometimes brutal, but I know it will be completely rewarding.
Anyways, when I was interviewing with them, they looked at my experience and looked at me and immediately told me that I had 2 strikes against me. They said that they never hire people with less than 3 years experience and I had about 1yr-18months. They also said they don't really hire people my age either. So I had these two strikes against me, but they liked the fact that I had sold books door to door. Sometimes people tell me they can't believe i did that for a few summers, but it has definately opened doors that other people couldnt get into. So, because of the 2 strikes that I had and the limb that they would be going out on if they hired me they made me write two business plans and do some other tasks to make sure I was serious about the job. So long story short, I did everything they asked and they decided to give me a chance! So some if it had to do with the fact that i sold books, but i really don't think that was all. I truly feel like God had a hand in it because they were very clear with me that I didn't have all of the qualifications that they look for, but they just liked something about me...
I'll be the youngest financial advisor there by far, and obviously the most green, but they have a great support structure and I think I'll be able to get the best coaching and mentoring on the face of the planet. So i'll start tomorrow and spend probably the next 10 weeks studying for my Series 7 license. Once I get that I'll probably get my series 63 and also become insurance licensed as well. I'll go up to NJ for two weeks at some point and then have some more in office training here in Baton Rouge. They obviously pay me for all of this while i'm not out there selling thankfully. My first production month probably won't begin until the first of January 2010. Thats when the game really begins. I basically have to bring in $5 million or more in new assests every year from that point on. I hope to do alot more than that, but it will definately take a lot of work.
So, for those of you who read my blog, obviously I'd ask for your continued support and prayer as I get things rolling, but also in this business I'll live and die by new contacts and referrals. So, anyone you know who is thinking about retiring soon, or putting their kids through college, or just looking to develop a financial and savings plan please pass along my contact information to them.
Anyways, that's all i've got for now, so if you have any questions just leave a comment and I'll get to it as soon as i can. And again, I'm sorry for not posting new blogs that often, but I'll try to keep you all updated as I go through this transition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We are really proud of you, Stephen, and can't wait to see how you do in your new job.
Yay! I've got a 401K that I need to roll over into something that you can help me with :)
How about another update Stevo?
Post a Comment